Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Journal Entry #1

  • Describe the situation that made you feel a need to respond in writing.
  • I was reading an article one day and I saw that it was talking about how this man was repetitively saying how the holocaust never occurred.  
  • Why did you decide to respond in writing instead of taking some other action or not responding at all?
  • The reason why i decided to respond was because I myself am Jewish and I felt very offended when i read the article and I had to write something because saying that in my opinion is definitely disrespectful.
  • What type or genre of writing did you use to communicate your purpose, and why did you choose this genre?
  • The type of writing that i chose for this letter that i wrote was, a cause and effect type.  The reason why i chose that was because I felt discriminated as a believer in Judaism, and the fact that if did happen and someone went out to say it didn't really got to me. 
  • Who was your audience and what kind of relationship did you want to establish with your readers?
  • The audience was my classmates.  The relationship that I wanted to establish with them was, for them to understand how i felt and to realize that saying something like that is very offensive to people.
  • What was your purpose in writing? Did you feel you accomplished this purpose?
  • My purpose in writing this was to inform people of the truth and not false rumors that people like to make up.  Yes, I do feel like I accomplished my goal in informing my friends.
  • What knowledge of the context and culture did you draw on to guide your writing?
  • The knowledge that I had on this topic was that I myself is Jewish and i have visited the Holocaust Museum and i have witnessed many things in person.
  • How is thinking about your writing as responding to a “rhetorical situation” different from other ways to think about the writing you do?
  • The way it was different in my opinion was that, i wrote about it differently.

No comments: